Ball & Stick
Ball & Stick is a viewer/composer application for special purposes of rendering three dimensional models consist of several series of spheres and sticks, such as molecular models or crystallographic structures. The app's GPU accelerated high performance graphics rendering system allows you to handle not only small models but also a cluster model of a certain size (typically including several thousands of objects) free from quality or performance degradation.
What you can do with Ball & Stick:
- Compose your original ball & stick models.
- Rotate or zoom model intuitively on screen to inspect geometry of the structure.
- Export graphics to make materials that you can use in your papers or presentations or for education, etc.
Ball & Stick models
Ball & Stick app defines two object types for model parts;
- Ball: A spherical object with properties, "Position", "Radius" and "Color", which works as a node point for sticks.
- Stick: A cylindrical object with properties, "Radius", "Color" and "Reference to a pair of nodes to connect".
By giving ball & stick data, the app renders perspectively projected three dimensional view that you can rotate or zoom on screen. If you want to display your own model in the app, you need to have numerical data set of all ball coordinates at least for input. For details of model making process, see Tutorial.